Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like which crops you’re growing, or how you have configured your FarmBot. We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, the web app requires you to create an account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, telephone number or credit card to store with your account. If you want to take full advantage of the sharing features we offer, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible profile, which may include your name and photo.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you make a sequence in the FarmBot web app, search for a Crop from within the web app, grow a plant with your FarmBot, take pictures of your garden with your FarmBot, or view and interact with our documentation and other media. This information includes:
- All FarmBot web application data We collect all of the data you enter into the FarmBot Web App such as your device’s name and settings; your sequences, regimens, and tools; garden layout; crop search queries; farm events, and more.
- Device information We collect device-specific information from both your FarmBot and the device you use to access the web application. Information includes your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, network information, and more. We may associate your device identifiers with your Web App Account.
- FarmBot generated data We collect all of the data your FarmBot generates including but not limited to log information, the photos your FarmBot takes, and data your FarmBot collects from its sensors and peripherals.
- Log information When you use our services we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
- Details of how you used our service, such as the commands you send to your FarmBot and the data and images your FarmBot generates.
- Internet protocol address.
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
- Cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Web App Account.
- Location information When you use our services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We may use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide us with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
- Unique application numbers Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to us when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
- Local storage We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
- Pixel tags (also called clear GIFs, web beacons, conversion pixels, or tracking pixels) are small blocks of code on a webpage or app that allow them to do things like read and place cookies and transmit information to us or our partners. The resulting connection can include information such as a device’s IP address, the time a person viewed the pixel, whether a viewer did a particular activity, an identifier associated with the browser or device and the type of browser being used.We use pixel tags from Facebook, and the information collected is to help us target our ads more effectively. The Facebook Cookie and Pixel Policy is here.Facebook is part of the Digital Marketing Alliance’s “Consumer Choice” Program. That program, located here for US users, here for Canadian users, and here for EU users, allows you to opt out of many different types of ad tracking, including Facebook’s. The Program is managed browser-by-browser, so if you use many different means of browsing the web, you may need to opt out of a given organization’s ad tracking that many times. On your mobile device, you also may be able to opt out using its settings.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect FarmBot Inc. and our users. We also may use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant crop search results or growing recommendations.
We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your account.
When you contact us, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, by saving your language preferences, we’ll be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer.
Our systems may analyze your content (including what you are growing and how) to provide you personally relevant features, such as customized crop recommendations.
FarmBot Inc. processes personal information on servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of FarmBot Inc. unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of FarmBot Inc. when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- For legal reasons We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of FarmBot Inc. if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of FarmBot Inc., our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services and products such as how many or what types of plants are grown by FarmBot users.
We have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical and administrative procedures to protect the confidentiality of the information that we collect on our site. In the event we become aware of a data breach where users’ personally identifiable information has been disclosed to unrelated third parties, we will make reasonable efforts to let any affected individuals know if we think there is a reasonable risk of harm to those users or if otherwise required to do so by law. If you think you have identified a security issue, please see how to responsibly report it to us.
While we hope your kids will get a chance to try the FarmBot, it’s not something they should do without adult supervision, and our website is not directed at persons under 13. Consequently, we do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us at email@example.com. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with any personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. Any account that is created by a person under 13 will be terminated and any content created will be removed from the Site.