Rigid and lightweight, FarmBot Genesis is constructed from durable aluminum extrusions and 5mm thick connecting plates. Coupled with powerful NEMA 17 stepper motors and rotary encoders, the system can precisely position tools in the XYZ space with millimeter accuracy.
Take an Interactive 3D Tour of FarmBot
Farm from Anywhere
Control and configure FarmBot with any device
Drag & Drop Farming
Graphically design your farm by dragging and dropping plants into the map. The game-like interface is learned in just a few minutes so you’ll be growing in no time. Plants are automatically spaced and growing regimens can be applied upon planting.
Build complete regimens for taking care of a plant throughout its lifetime by scheduling sequences to run when a plant is a certain age. Regimens can be reused, saving you time and effort during replanting.
Quickly and easily create custom sequences of operations to take full advantage of your hardware – no programming is required. Simply drag and drop basic operations and other sequences together, adjust the parameters to your liking, and save.
Move FarmBot and operate its tools in real-time with the manual controls. Scare birds away from work or next time friends are over, pull out your phone for a quick and impressive demo.
Think FarmBot is cool?
Signup for our email newsletter to stay in the loop with exciting progress updates and be the first to receive special promotions!
We’ve gone through great lengths to design, manufacture, and source only the highest quality components for our kits
FarmBot is yours, through and through
We’ve published all of the CAD and manufacturing files used to make FarmBot so you can make and modify your own parts. All CAD files are in the public domain under CC0.
Software Source Code
Help us build new features, fork the code for your own custom mods, or host the web app locally for true off-grid independence. All software is under the MIT license.
Know FarmBot inside and out with our step-by-step assembly instructions, bill of materials, and tech specs of every part. All documentation is in the public domain under CC0.
These ones come standard. What will you create?
Ready for Expansion
Modify and augment FarmBot for your unique growing style and needs
Know the Weather
Gather and use real-time weather data to allow FarmBot to farm smarter.
Take FarmBot off-grid with small solar power and rain collection systems.
Use FarmBot to light up your garden for harvesting, photography, and wow factor!
Signup for our email newsletter and we’ll share with you videos and stories of how people use and modify FarmBot at home, commercially, and experimentally!
Powered by Community
Help build the open food future with us
See how people all over the world are using FarmBot
FarmBot in Education
John G. Wells, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Technology Education at Virginia Tech University. Learn how he is implementing FarmBot in a multi-generational, research-based fashion that engages undergraduate students, doc students, and faculty at the university and K-12 level.
The Sudweeks Family
Garrett and Lexie Sudweeks are first generation FarmBot builders in Cedar City, Utah in the United States. Watch them put together their v1.2 FarmBot Genesis kit and hear what it means to them to grow their own food and be a part of the larger open-source FarmBot community.
How will you use FarmBot?
Use FarmBot in the lab for precise growing experiments. A/B testing with hundreds of variations has never been easier.
For Food Sovereignty
Use FarmBot on a raised bed, urban rooftop, or in a greenhouse to grow your food exactly the way you want it be grown.
Use FarmBot for your small commercial farming business to save labor cost and improve efficiency.
FarmBot vs the Grocery Store
How do they compare?
By our estimations, one FarmBot Genesis kit (1.5m x 3m in area) can continuously grow all of the veggies for one person’s needs. This is assuming year-round growing.
FarmBot grown veggies create 25% fewer CO2 emissions than standard US veggies. Take FarmBot off-grid and it gets even better.
FarmBot grown veggies are significantly less expensive than veggies purchased at the grocery store. The return on your investment is estimated to be between three and five years.
Everything else you need to know
What’s in the box
- In short: everything you need except the raised bed, garden hose, and extension cord.
- Black anodized aluminum extrusions for the tracks, gantry, and z-axis
- 5mm thick structural aluminum plates with tumble polished, sand blasted, and anodization surface treatments
- Polycarbonate V-wheels with stainless steel rubber sealed ball bearings
- Injection molded and machined plastic motor housings, support brackets, seed bins, tools, and other components
- Stainless steel hardware (screws, tee nuts, washers, spacers, springs, and setscrews)
- Four NEMA 17 stepper motors with rotary encoders and wiring harnesses
- GT2 timing belts and aluminum pulleys
- Durable plastic cable carriers
- 8mm diameter high tolerance stainless steel leadsrew and delrin block
- IP67 rainproof 12V power supply with 110 and 220V AC input
- Raspberry Pi 3 computer and 8GB microSD card
- Farmduino v1.0 microcontroller with four DRV8825 stepper drivers
- Rainproof electronics enclosure
- Universal tool mount and cover with rubber o-rings and seals and a 12-wire cable
- Seed injector tool with vacuum pump, tubing, and customizable luer lock needles (3 sizes included)
- Watering nozzle tool with adapters for standard US garden hose, tubing, and solenoid valve
- Soil sensor tool with pre-soldered moisture meter PCB
- Weeding tool with customizable implements
- Camera and mounting hardware
- Two seed bins and two seed trays
- Two 3-slot toolbays
- All tools needed for assembly
- See the docs for a complete bill of materials, tech specs, and CAD downloads
What you need to provide
- Planter Bed – FarmBot Genesis is designed to attach to a raised bed or similar infrastructure. Materials for this are not included because every installation will be different and it would be very expensive to ship lumber.
- Electricity – The power supply needs to be plugged into a 110V AC or 220V AC GFCI outlet. FarmBot ships with a 30cm (1ft) power cord with a standard US 3-prong plug for 110V AC power. You must connect this to your own extension cord of appropriate length inside the power supply’s rainproof box. Alternatively you can power FarmBot with DC solar power.
- Water – The solenoid valve that controls FarmBot’s watering has a 3/4″ female Garden Hose Thread (GHT) connection, meaning you can take a standard US garden hose and screw it into a spigot and your FarmBot. You will need to provide a hose of the appropriate length. Alternatively you can use FarmBot with collected rain water.
- Internet – FarmBot can only be programmed and controlled using the web application, meaning an active internet connection is required to send and receive data. The Raspberry Pi has built-in WiFi, though you may need to reposition your WiFi router, install a WiFi repeater, or use an ethernet cable to ensure a reliable connection. If you would like to use FarmBot exclusively on your local network you will need to install a local setup of the FarmBot web app.
- Machine length: Adjustable from 1.5 to 3m
- Machine width: Adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5m
- Machine height: Adjustable from 0.5 to 1.5m
- Max growing area: Approximately 2.9m x 1.4m
- Max plant height: Approximately 0.5m
- All parts are protected from rain and made of corrosion resistant materials
You control and configure FarmBot using the free FarmBot web application at my.farmbot.io. We expect to indefinitely offer free service adequate for home growing needs, though we may charge for service for commercial or industrial FarmBot usage, for FarmBots larger than 1.5m x 3m in area, and/or for FarmBots growing large numbers of plants concurrently. You can always host your own software if you do not want to use our service.
We’re committed to providing you with the highest quality product we can. As we continue to develop and test FarmBot hardware and software, we will make changes. The final product that we ship to you may be different (and better) than the one shown in our videos, photos, documentation, and as described on our websites.
From Our Warehouse to You
See how we package up every FarmBot and then watch the complete unboxing video to learn about exactly what’s included in every box
Frequently Asked Questions
What's included in the pre-order kits?
All of the hardware you see in the video except the raised bed, garden hose, and solar panels. You'll need to provide a garden hose and extension cord of the appropriate length to connect your FarmBot to grid power and municipal water. For the specifics, see the Tech Specs section above.
FarmBot is open-source, so how is it also for sale?
Being open-source means that all of the source files (CAD models, step-by-step assembly instructions, software, etc) are completely free so you can build and operate a FarmBot on your own – without our company. You can see and download all of these resources on our documentation hub.
At the same time, being open-source also allows anyone to sell a compiled version of FarmBot such as a complete kit or hosted software.
In fact, this is really important to do because it gives people options. The truth is that its a lot of work to purchase all of the components from around the Internet yourself, and there wouldn’t be any guarantee that they work with each other. Its also technically challenging to host and maintain the web app software on your own server.
Whereas if you buy a kit, you’ll save a lot of time and get a complete product that is guaranteed to work and backed by our company. Then you get to play with designing new tools and figuring out new ways of using FarmBot, rather than struggling just to get it to work.
Long story short, being open-source and also for sale are not mutually exclusive.
So why should I pre-order a kit?
By pre-ordering a FarmBot kit you are pioneering this new technology with us. You are joining a small but growing team of people from across the globe who believe that the future of food is open, distributed, and owned by the end-eaters.
Additionally, you are supporting our company and the continuation of our open-source work. This project would not exist without support from the community and it will largely stagnate if there are not dedicated people working full-time on the technology. Purchasing a kit from our company allows us to continue openly researching and developing this technology for everyone. We like to say that an investment in us is an investment in humanity.
Do you ship international?
Yes! We can ship anywhere in the world. As an importer of a good into your country, you (the customer) are responsible for all customs duties, value added taxes, or import taxes to your country and/or state. Please check with your customs office prior to ordering so that you know what to expect ahead of time. We use the harmonization code 8432.80.0080 which classifies FarmBot as "Agricultural or horticultural machinery for soil preparation or cultivation; parts thereof".
What are the import duties/taxes into my country?
As an importer of a good into your country, you (the customer) are responsible for all customs duties, value added taxes, or import taxes to your country and/or state. Please check with your customs office prior to ordering so that you know what to expect ahead of time. We use the harmonization code 8432.80.0080 which classifies FarmBot as "Agricultural or horticultural machinery for soil preparation or cultivation; parts thereof".
Because there are so many different countries and tax rates, we are unable to give you specific advice. Again, please contact your customs office prior to ordering.
When will I get my kit?
Please refer to the pre-order page to see when the next batch of FarmBots is set to be delivered. If there is any delay in the production then we will let you know right away.
Can I extend the tracks or make the gantry wider/taller?
Yes! And we encourage this. While the current kits are designed to be 1.5m wide and 3m in length, there is no reason why you cannot (with additional hardware) make your gantry taller or wider, and your tracks longer. We expect to offer add-on extensions in the future, as well as larger kits.
Can FarmBot be used to service multiple beds?
Not really. Moving FarmBot to another bed would require partial disassembly, reconnecting the power and water lines, and also a re-calibration. If you want FarmBot to tend to more plants at once you really need to have a larger device (longer tracks and/or wider gantry).
Can FarmBot do X?
Probably! While FarmBot has a limited set of things it can do right now, what we've built is a platform for you and anyone else to build upon. Want FarmBot to mist your plants? Or harvest? Or remove snails? Go ahead and design your own tools for that use case!
Does FarmBot work exactly like in the video?
Our videos depict the vision of FarmBot technology (what we're building towards). However, FarmBot is a still very much an experimental technology meant for early adopters. It is not yet a "consumer product", meaning it is not completely plug-and-play nor is FarmBot extremely easy to use. It is much more similar to how DIY 3D printers were 10 years ago - an involved project with a technology that is not yet perfect, but rapidly improving.
So while we have successfully grown full gardens with FarmBot like shown in the videos, it sometimes requires a little bit of fine tuning and in some cases tedious configuration with the web application to get it just right.
We recommend looking at the documentation and trying out the web application to get a more in-depth understanding of the current state of the technology.
Do you have resellers in other countries?
At this time we do not. We are also not currently interested in partnering with resellers or doing affiliate sales.
Do you accept wire transfers, bank transfers, checks, or other forms of payment?
Unfortunately at this time we cannot accept other forms of payment beyond online debit/credit card charges.
Do you accept purchase orders?
At this time we can provide invoices, accept purchase orders, and provide receipts. However, your order must be paid for in-full with a credit/debit transaction through our website prior to us accepting your purchase order and providing receipt.
Still have questions?
The Origin of FarmBot
Watch project founder Rory Aronson share his vision for the future of food
About Our Company
FarmBot Inc. is a California Benefit Corporation. Coded into our bylaws are these specific benefit purposes.
Openly share our products
Our company is founded on the belief that a more open food system is a better one. The following aspects of our products will be openly shared at the time the product is publicly released:
- Hardware designs shall be released in accordance with the Open Source Hardware Association’s definition of open source hardware.
- Software source code shall be released under a permissive license approved by the Open Source Initiative.
- Documentation shall be released under a license conforming to the definition of “open” put forth by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
Openly share our business
We believe that business is a powerful agent for change, and like our products, it can be more powerful when its details are openly shared for inspection, modification, and replication by others. The following aspects of our business will be shared for the benefit of our company, our customers, aspiring entrepreneurs, and the FarmBot community at large.
- Detailed sales and financial information including but not limited to revenues, expenditures, profits, salaries, investments, and taxes.
- Cultural, operational, and strategic insights that we determine important to our growth and success.
- We will default to transparency in all aspects of our business except when there are individual or partnership privacy concerns.
1% for the community
Each year, we shall contribute one percent (1%) of our annual net revenue towards furthering The FarmBot Project’s mission to “Grow a community that produces free and open-source hardware plans, software, data, and documentation enabling everyone to build and operate a farming machine.” Contributions shall consist of cash, products, and services that directly help to maintain and grow the community.
Be good people
We strive to do the right thing in every situation: for each other, our customers, the environment, and all of our stakeholders. We make ethics, integrity, transparency, and community the cornerstones of our business.